Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kerns and Lucerne and Sarnen

First off, sorry for being too busy and/or lazy to post for several days. I'll do a super quick recap of each day.
May 22 - Eliane drove me down to Lake Sarnen so I could walk around the lake while she was at school in Lucerne. I intended to walk around the entire lake, but then I realized it would take me a lot longer than the 3 hours I had, so I decided to buy some ice cream and read a book instead.


May 23 - I went on a walk through the hills around the house. My turnaround point was the bridge I had seen a couple days before, but I made a wrong turn at the very beginning of my trek (so much for knowing the way) and ended up a lot higher up than I meant to. I finally saw the bridge in the valley below, and thankfully there was a road a little ways ahead of me that led almost straight to it. I stopped in town to buy some favorite foods for lunch (pasta, butter, orange juce, and chocolate milk) and didn't think about asking for a bag, so I had to carry it all to the house - a completely uphill journey. Oh well, I needed a good workout.


May 24 - I don't completely understand how the school system works, but I do know that Meret had only biology lessons all day, every day last week. Since I'm a biology major, Meret asked if I would like to sit in on her class, to which I said yes. So, while she was doing the "boring" part of the class, I spend quality time with my book in various cafés. I wasn't sure how long was too long to sit in a café after drinking my coffee, so I switched to avoid an awkward situation. Do I have social anxiety? Probably. Anyway, I went to Meret's class when they were scheduled to go outside and examine different plants in the forest. I knew which trees were maples, but beyond that I knew nothing.


May 25 - I went to school this day too, only this time it was to watch the faculty vs. seniors soccer game. The faculty were actually pretty good, only losing the game 3-4. Later that night we went to her mom's house and went to another soccer game, but this game was between two college-aged teams.


May 26 - We started the day off with a walk through the classic car show in downtown Sarnen. After that, Meret and I drove to Alpnachstad and took the boat to Lucerne. While I was there I bought a Swiss watch from Swatch, and I'm really pleased with it. For dinner Meret's boyfriend made us pizza in his pizza oven and it was awesome. Later I hung out with Eliane and some of her friends.


May 27 - Meret took me to Arenschlucht (the Aar Gorge), a section of the river Aar that carves through a limestone ridge near the town of Meiringen, and later we went out for coffee with some of her friends. One of them even invited me to her birthday party. Oh boy!


May 28 - Meret, her boyfriend, and I went to a zoo a little beyond Lucerne. It was nice, and there were small deer walking around freely that you could feed. I was a little nervous about the free-roaming miniature bighorn sheep, but I guess they don't harm anyone. Later we went back to her dad's house, and I stayed up late to finish "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot.


May 29 - Sleep, eat and read Cracked.com articles, sleep, eat and read more articles, sleep, eat, sleep.


May 30 - Today Eliane drove me to town to meet Meret after she got out of school. I bought ice cream and we spent half an hour on Lake Sarnen in a paddle boat, chasing ducks every now and then.


Below: My favorite picture from the walk I took on the 23rd.

1 comment:

  1. Eight days later.. way to go! Haven't read the whole thing yet, but I will.

    ReplyDelete